<p>GPD Lt. Brian Helmerson speaks to the Community Alcohol Coalition at Emerson Alumni Hall on Wednesday morning.</p>

GPD Lt. Brian Helmerson speaks to the Community Alcohol Coalition at Emerson Alumni Hall on Wednesday morning.

University and city officials have been working to cut down drunken driving on campus and to aid addicted students in seeking help. So far, officials say they’ve seen progress.

UF’s Community Alcohol Coalition met Wednesday at Emerson Alumni Hall to present campus alcohol statistics and to reveal plans to help students with alcohol-related issues such as an on-campus Alcoholics Anonymous group.

The statistics presented at the meeting were a combination of data from GatorWell, the Dean of Student’s office and University Police, said Maureen Miller, director of GatorWell Health Promotion Services.

The number of on-campus drunken ambulance rides has increased since the medical amnesty policy started last year, she said.

“That’s not necessarily a bad thing,” she said.

Rather, it means more students are willing to call for help when they drink too much.

Police are educating city restaurants and bars about how to identify underage drinkers and pick out patrons who have had too much to drink, said GPD Lt. Brian Helmerson.

On campus, UF’s Counseling & Wellness Center offers a new recovery program for students addicted to alcohol, said Joan Scully, substance abuse coordinator for the Counseling and Wellness Center.

She said suspended students can stay in school and have their records cleared if they successfully complete the program.

An AA chapter is being formed on campus in addition to workshops, recovery support groups and psychotherapy groups.