Science-themed alternative bar to close at the end of the month

Drinking in Gainesville may feel a little less scientific by the end of the month.

The Laboratory bar and restaurant will close its doors for the last time Oct. 31.

Larry Bruce, owner of The Laboratory, said new owners bought the building that houses his bar and raised his rent by about a third.

“This sprung up on us fast,” Bruce said.

Bruce, a UF anthropology alumnus, said he opened The Laboratory three years ago as an alternative to Gainesville’s other nightlife options.

“In Gainesville, it’s either Midtown or Downtown,” he said. “If you don’t feel uber-trendy or comfortable in either place, you could always come here.”

The bar won’t relocate because of a slow summer season, Bruce said. He hopes to get another job and save money to reopen the bar.

Sarah Nelson, a Santa Fe College psychology sophomore, said she likes to watch shows at the bar and appreciates the atmosphere.

“They are a little gimmicky where they serve beer in beaker glasses, which is cute,” the 25-year-old said.

One of Bruce’s favorite aspects of the bar is how it brings together different social groups in a place where they can meet.

“We wanted to create a place for everyone,” he said. “And I think we did a good job.”

Contact Shelby Webb at swebb@alligator.org.