The trend that never fades: Color blocking

It’s true that trends come and go, but there are times when some seem to have a longer moment in the spotlight than others. Color blocking has been around for decades, resurfacing every once in awhile for a new group of trendsetters. But this time around, it has been standing its ground for a couple of seasons. If this trend isn’t new to you, great, you’re already set. If you’re just catching on, better late than never.

When it comes to color blocking there are two ways you can go about things. First, you can buy an item that is already sectioned off into blocks of color. Many stores carry color-blocked clothing. You’ll usually find it in the form of a dress or a top. This route makes it easier to follow the trend. By purchasing pre-blocked clothing, you’re eliminating much of the stress. There’s no struggling to mix and match all of the the right colors. You just have to put on your top or dress, accessorize (but don’t over do it) and out the door you go.

Or you can create your own color-blocked looks by pairing, for example, a yellow shirt with teal jeans and pink shoes. This is just a way to get a bit more creative and minimize costs.

If you’re on a budget, it’s a fun way to come up with your own looks without buying a bunch of new items. Another plus to this is that you can always wear them as separates when the color-blocking trend fades. This way you get the best out of your entire wardrobe. Also, if you want to stand out, you can choose to go with only bright pieces, but if you’re trying to tone it down a bit, blocking with pastels does the trick.

However, you must be cautious when attempting your own color blocking. A good rule to abide by is never use more than three different colors when composing your look. Otherwise, you run the risk of looking like a pack of Skittles.