<p>Odori Hines, a 31-year-old UF alumnus, sorts food collected Monday during the Strike Out Hunger Food Drive at the Alachua County Fairgrounds. “It’s actually a lot of fun,” he said.</p>

Odori Hines, a 31-year-old UF alumnus, sorts food collected Monday during the Strike Out Hunger Food Drive at the Alachua County Fairgrounds. “It’s actually a lot of fun,” he said.

For James Paulk, the Thanksgiving season is a reminder of growing up in a one-parent home.

He said he knew his mom made sacrifices to feed him and his siblings — sacrifices he was often oblivious to as a child.

“As well as lots of love, we always had lots of food in that cabinet,” he said.

As Paulk stood inside the Alachua County Fairgrounds Exhibition Building surrounded by tables piled three cans high with donated food, he said volunteering at the Strike Out Hunger Food Drive was his way to give back.

The operation that began Monday will collect food until 7 p.m. today.

Volunteers will distribute to area food banks Wednesday and will be distributing Thanksgiving food baskets to Gainesville families Thursday.

John Barli, volunteer coordinator for Catholic Charities, said the fairgrounds saw a variety of donors the first day, including cars loaded with donations from doctors’ offices and county departments.

“It’s been a big mix of everybody,” he said.

Barli, who had been unpacking cardboard boxes of canned vegetables, said this year’s goal is to put together 1,000 food baskets to give away to families. He said food supplies will also go to restock local food pantries.

“It’s kind of just spreading the wealth,” he said.

Rodney Long, the former Alachua County commissioner who began the food drive in 2008, said he expects people to rely on the drive heavily this year because more families have been affected by a declining economy.

“The need this year is greater than it was last year because the circumstances are worse,” Long said.

He said businesses, churches and organizations across Gainesville have teamed up to provide donations with about 60 to 75 volunteers.

Long said the goal of the food drive is to strengthen families in the Gainesville community.

“When you actually provide a meal to a family, it provides a sense of dignity and hope,” he said. “That’s what this is all about.”