Plaza Ice Palace skating rink opening put on ice until Friday

The Nov. 23 opening of the downtown Plaza Ice Palace skating rink has been postponed until Friday due to technical problems.

The ice rink, which will be on the Bo Diddley Community Plaza, will remain open a week later than planned to make up for the delay. It closes Jan. 13.

Midwest Display, the company providing and managing the rink, experienced “technical difficulties,” according to a press statement released Tuesday from Gainesville’s Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs.

The rink, which is sponsored by Gainesville Regional Utilities, will be open weekdays from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. and weekends from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Renting skates for an hour costs $10. People who bring their own skates can skate for an hour for $7.

The yearly city-funded ice rink was canceled after 2007 because of budget issues, according to Alligator archives. Midwest Display approached the city and offered to bring back the rink. The company will set up the rink as a vendor, and the city will get a portion of the proceeds.