Adobe InDesign files and Photoshop sketches can consume several gigabytes if UF architecture sophomore Zachary Wignall isn’t careful.

But thanks to a college promotion by file-hosting service Dropbox.com, Wignall and other UF students can earn up to 25 GB worth of free space to store and share their files.

Students and faculty can help UF win Dropbox’s Great Space Race by using their school email accounts to sign up for Dropbox.

As of Sunday night, UF was ranked 17th in the national level of the contest with 9,570 points. Massachusetts Institute of Technology was in the lead with 41,214 points.

Wignall said about 60 people in his design class have registered for the race. They already use Dropbox’s cloud storage and file synchronization features to work on class projects.

“It’s easy to use, and you don’t have to carry a flash drive around,” the 22-year-old said.

UF multimedia reporting instructor Douglas Coats uses Dropbox’s shared folders to grade his class’ audio and image files. Having all the files in one place reduces the time it takes for Coats to grade his class’ work.

According to Dropbox’s leaderboard, about 4,200 Gators have joined the race so far and won 8 GB for the next two years.

UF is 1,684 points away from advancing to the next level of the competition and earning 15 GB for its students and faculty. The contest ends Dec.10.