Gainesville cyclists react to Armstrong’s doping

Gainesville cyclists are divided in their feelings about Lance Armstrong after he admitted to using performance enhancers.

The Oprah Winfrey Network aired a two-part interview with Armstrong on Thursday and Friday.

Martin Cox, a professional cyclist who works at Super Cool Bike Shop on West University Avenue and 34th Street, said Armstrong is a huge talking point among customers.

“He’s the biggest name in the sport,” the 23-year-old Santa Fe College sports management student said. “Like him or hate him, people are always going to talk about him.”

Kara Hartford, a 21-year-old UF political science and geography senior and bike mechanic at the free bike repair service station in the Reitz Union, grew up riding bikes. She was happy to see the cyclist fess up to taking drugs, because he’s been lying for so long. However, Hartford still respects and admires the pro cyclist. She said she thinks it’s a pro cyclist’s job to win.

“They’re going to do what they need to do to keep their jobs,” she said.

Ted Spiker, a UF journalism professor, said the angst people feel toward Armstrong comes from linking the athlete with his cancer contributions and with being seen as a liar in the sport.

“Everyone is making their own decision,” Spiker said. “I like the guy. I have posters of the guy, but I can’t hang those in my office anymore.”