Murphree Hall will host the new Continuing in Honors Living Learning Community for 30 UF Honors Program students this Fall.

“I’m excited about this,” said Honors Program director Kevin Knudson. “I think this will be another extra thing that we can offer our students and can enhance their experience here at the university.”

Continuing in Honors is a joint effort between the Honors Program and the Department of Housing & Residence Education targeted toward sophomores and upperclassmen.

Diane Porter-Roberts, associate director of housing for Student Learning & Engagement, wrote in an email that about 600 students live in the Honors Residential College at Hume Hall, but they’re mostly freshmen.

“Sometimes Hume can be more of a freshman place where you go one year, and then you try to find somewhere else to live,” said Joseph Ziebelman, a 24-year-old mental health counseling master’s student and graduate hall director for Murphree Hall.

Knudson and Porter-Roberts are working together to keep older students involved in honors activities.

Although the details have not yet been solidified, Knudson said it will offer residents advantages like advising, socials and close proximity to the honors office at the Infirmary.

“I think we want to respond more to what the students might want,” he said. “Let them tell us what kind of level of programming they might be interested in.”

Knudson said spots filled up a few hours after honors students were notified about the community. There is now a waiting list.

Porter-Roberts said she is looking into centering the community in Section E of Murphree.