Braddy or Lowe? Today is the mayoral runoff election

Voting for the Gainesville mayoral runoff election is today. Polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Former District 2 City Commissioner Ed Braddy will face off against incumbent Mayor Craig Lowe for the mayor’s seat.

In the March 19 election, Braddy received 4,649 votes, or about 38 percent of the vote, while Lowe received 4,418 votes, or about 37 percent of the vote.

During last week’s early-voting period, 1,140 ballots were cast, 62 more than in March, said Alachua County Supervisor of Elections Pam Carpenter. As of Monday afternoon, more than 3,500 absentee ballots were cast, down from more than 4,000 during the March election.

In the 2010 mayoral runoff elections, 12,204 total votes were cast with a 16.77 percent turnout.

At the polls, UF students and Gainesville residents are required to present a current and valid picture and signature identification before voting or casting a provisional ballot.

UF students who live on campus can vote at the Reitz Union. Other places to vote on campus include the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, Doyle Conner Building and the Florida Museum of Natural History.

For more information on polling locations, visit the Supervisor of Elections website at www.votealachua.com.