Exotic pet owners will be able to turn in their exotic pets for free without facing any penalties at the first local Exotic Pet Amnesty Day today on campus.

“It is an alternative to turning something loose with no questions asked,” said Steve Johnson, an associate professor of wildlife ecology with UF’s Department of Wildlife Ecology and Conservation.

The department is hosting the event in collaboration with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Straughn IFAS Extension Professional Development Center located on 2142 Shealy Drive.

Johnson said when some people get rid of their pets, they release their animals into the wild, causing an increase in non-native animals in Florida.

Some of these animals have negative effects on the environment, he said. Several species in the past have caused a decline in other animal populations.

Last year, 297 animals such as lizards, snakes and turtles were turned it to the FWC at Exotic Pet Amnesty Day events, said Diane Hirth, FWC habitat and species conservation communications coordinator.

“Normally, what we receive are animals that are not commonly sold in pet stores and not very expensive,” she said.

Johnson said the department will also be having educational outreach tables at the Reitz Union on the same day, where students can learn more about how to be responsible pet owners.

“It’s free, open to the public and we are just trying to do good for the environment,” he said.