Florida expects above-active hurricane season

Hurricane season starts June 1, but people in hurricane-prone areas should start preparing now.

Katherine Ellison, a corporate communications specialist for The Home Depot, said although the Southeastern region stores increase storm supplies during hurricane season, these stores are typically prepared year round.

“Storms can come early in the season. Hurricanes can come later in the season,” she said. “You just never know.”

Florida is not a stranger to hurricanes.

“The common theme is that an above-active season is expected ... according to climatology,” said UF Chief Meteorologist Jeff Huffman. “Much of the Southeast United States, including Florida, is overdue for a landfalling, major hurricane.”

Huffman said he expects the National Hurricane Center to release its predicted storm forecast during the week of May 27.

“No matter what the prediction is for the number of storms, it only takes one that can result in major impacts,” he said.

Huffman said his team is preparing for the season by participating in a WRUF multimedia properties hurricane drill from May 27 to May 31. His team will test the systems set up to cover major storms.

UF Emergency Management Coordinator Kenneth Allen said UF students and faculty should get ready for hurricane season now.

“We want people to be prepared all year long,” he said.

UF’s plan during emergency differs for on-campus and off-campus students. On-campus students would take shelter in their dorms. Those in graduate and family housing would take shelter in their homes. If the emergency were to extend more than 24 hours, Gator Dining would provide food to residents.

Off-campus students would be welcome to stay at a shelter provided by UF, Allen said, but would not be provided food via Gator Dining.

“I stress, they’re members of the community and need to be prepared,” he said.

Off-campus residents are expected to follow city guidelines and instructions, such as curfews and boiling water, during a storm.

UF is not responsible for damages to residents’ belongings.

“Stock up on things you know you’re going to need,” said Ellison, from The Home Depot. “Safety is definitely a priority.”