UF students give Lochte show jeahs — and nahs

Gator alumnus and Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte’s reality show debuted Sunday night, and UF students have mixed reactions.

“What Would Ryan Lochte Do?” chronicles Lochte’s life as he spends time with his family and parties in Gainesville.

Midtown bars 101 Cantina and Balls were featured in the show’s first episode, along with Dragonfly Sushi and Sake Company.

Matthew Lewis Chiles, a 24-year-old UF political science senior and Dragonfly server, said he thinks the show will increase business.

“He’s a pretty recognizable figure coming into the establishment,” he said.

Chiles, who once served Lochte, said the show brings Gainesville into the spotlight.

“There’s going to be more attention brought to the city,” he said.

But the 28-year-old gold medalist’s show has some students questioning how the program will reflect on UF.

Telecommunication freshman Kaylee Glyder, 19, said the premiere did not live up to the hype.

Chris Boyett, a 19-year-old UF English freshman, did not watch the episode, but thinks the show will have a negative impact.

“I think it’ll be used against UF by other colleges who are competing with us,” he said.

Boyett said Lochte’s behavior reflects poorly on the school and on athletes. He said he has no plans to watch the reality show.

“It would just make me mad and [put] me in a bad mood,” Boyett said.