UF students host fundraiser at Shuck for class

Last week, students walked out of Professor Bill Rossi’s Creativity and Innovation in the Business Environment classes with a mission. They had one week to create a plan that would raise money for a charity and were given an envelope with a mystery amount of funds.

Rossi said one class’ donations were going toward Stop Children’s Cancer, and the other class’ was going toward Tyler’s Hope, an organization committed to funding research for Dystonia, a neurological movement disorder.

“There’s a lot for them to learn here, not the least of which is the full notion of giving back,” Rossi said.

The class that will donate to Tyler’s Hope has already raised about $1,000. One of the teams from that class has partnered with Shuck, a new raw bar and seafood restaurant in Midtown, to raise money for Tyler’s Hope.

Shuck, 1643 NW 1st Ave, is charging a $5 cover charge at the door from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. today. All proceeds go to the charity. Sony will give away promotional items, said William Stevens.

“We wanted to raise the most amount of money we could,” said the 22-year-old UF marketing senior. “We thought that since [Shuck] is a new place just opening, they want to get promotion out for themselves.”

Other teams from the class have showed support for this event.

“One group is creating the Facebook, and one group is doing promotional things in order to get the word out,” Stevens said.