Monday, April 29, 2024

Fest 2013 announces extended dates, multiple cities

Punk rock fans are already preparing to rock longer at this year’s Fest.

In an effort to cater to out-of-towners and extend the event’s scope, organizers of the Gainesville-based music festival announced the 12th annual Fest will begin with a pre-party in Ybor City this year, extending the festival by two days.

It will run the standard four days in Gainesville, from Oct. 31 to Nov. 3. The pre-party in Ybor City – added this year – will be Oct. 29-30, offering shows by many of the same bands at discounted prices.

Fest organizer Tony Weinbender said adding the days to the front end made sense because it catered to out-of-towners who often arrive early anyway.

“A lot are from overseas, coming as early as Wednesday,” he said. “That was an easy move to extend it.”

Weinbender also said coordinating logistics in Tampa was a natural choice because the circles of people often already overlap.

“The Tampa music scene is very close to the Gainesville scene,” he said.

The out-of-town pre-party also solved logistical issues with booking local venues for longer, Weinbender said.

“Taking over venues for six days wouldn’t work in Gainesville,” he said.

Pat Lavery, who handles booking for Fest venue High Dive, said the Fest extension could present pros and cons locally because business is more spread out.

“Now, it appears Fest goers will have two or three times the number of options,” he said in an email interview. “If it means a lower turnout for the Fest in Gainesville and smaller crowds for each participating venue, then that could mean a negative financial impact to the Gainesville community.”

As for drawing attendees away from Gainesville, Weinbender said he’s not worried. For many, he said, rocking at Fest in its city of origin is one of a kind.

“People like the experience,” he said. “It’s kind of a rite of passage.”

For the last 12 years, Fest has been booking multiple venues for the historically four-day festival where more than 100 independent punk-rock style bands take the stage. Concerts take place in bars, restaurants and even houses, and many participants fly in from overseas to attend. It was originally organized by independent record label No Idea Records.

Contact Kelcee Griffis at kgriffis@alligator.org.