Eggs are an integral part of almost any baked good. They’re the reason you can’t lick the spoon for fear of contracting salmonella. You rue your lack of memory for your refrigerator contents when you get to the part of the recipe that calls for eggs and you have none. Unless those two things come up though, you don’t really think about them. It’s not like you can taste them when they are just one ingredient among a dozen others.

This reputation leads people to forget that eggs are not always a minor character. In fact, they do quite well at taking center stage when you’re looking for a filling meal that doesn’t require very much effort, money, or time. Eggs are flexible and easy, and they can be prepared countless ways so you always have something new you can make.

My favorite way to prepare eggs is to scramble them, but omelets and “egg in the basket” are also delicious. If you want to scramble them, all you really need is one egg - anything else is extra. However, I like mine with a little cheese and milk so that they’re fluffy and have some additional flavor. A dozen eggs will typically cost you around $2, but you can also buy a half dozen if you’re worried about them going bad. Milk goes for approximately $3.79 per gallon, but it’s also available in half gallons and quarts for those who aren’t big milk users. One bag of shredded cheese will run you about $2.99. Feel free to also mix in bits of bacon or some vegetables - eggs are a meal that gives you all kinds of freedom to make it your own.

To prepare your scrambled eggs, break out your microwave bowl. In that bowl, crack as many eggs are you’d like; I will generally make one or two at a time. Use a fork to break up the yolks and mix them in. Then eyeball the milk and the cheese as you mix them in - you really can’t put too much or too little of either. Stir them all together, and microwave your concoction for thirty seconds. When it’s done, stir it again. Repeat this process until there is no liquid left in the bowl to ensure that it’s cooked all the way through. After that, sit back and enjoy your eggs-cellent dish.