The possibilities of a vegetarian cafeteria

At my elementary school, mystery meat was the Wednesday special. It was chicken on the cafeteria menu, but once you took a bite of your first nugget, you never got the Wednesday special again. We were all just kids, and even then we knew that this mystery meat was in fact not chicken.

A public elementary school in Queens opted for a vegetarian cafeteria beginning January. Many were hesitant to the reaction of the students and parents, but after testing the menu out 3 days a week since 2008, the school believed the change was for the better.

Many nutritionists believe an all-vegetarian diet is one of the most effective ways to gain weight. Vegetarians often substitute meat with grains and starchy foods. The idea of eliminating meat for a more nutritious lifestyle should be followed with increasing your consumption of produce, nuts, legumes, seeds and high-quality grains.

An issue many fail to see with the vegetarian lifestyle is the equally harmful effects of processed foods including gluten, dairy and simple sugars. If you approach the vegetarian lifestyle wholly conscious of what you put into your body, the meat-free diet can be to your benefit.

Vegetarians must also be wary of the “fake meat” they consume for protein. Most soy is harmful to the thyroid and can disturb your metabolism and hormone balance. Unless the soy is fermented and organic, it does more harm than good. Tofu is unfermented, and therefore is not the best go-to for a substitute. However tempeh is made from fermented soy and is a great choice for a protein source. Nuts, seeds, legumes and plant-based protein shakes are also great sources for protein.

Other concerns for vegetarians include receiving enough iron and vitamin B-12, which are both abundant in meat. Dark leafy greens, dried fruit and legumes are iron-rich foods. Whey and dairy are good sources for vitamin B-12.

The New York Active Learning Elementary School plans to continue serving all-vegetarian cafeteria food the following school year. The vegetarian lifestyle is becoming more common among all ages as a result today’s meat industry practices. Here is a sample of the school’s menus from the Daily News:

BREAKFAST MENU

Whole-grain sunrise carrot bread with hot cereal choice

Fluffy egg omelet with melted cheese in a New York-style bagel

Waffles with warm syrup and

mozzarella string cheese

LUNCH MENU

Black bean and cheddar quesadilla served with salsa, red roasted

potatoes and broccoli

Roasted organic tofu with cacciatore sauce, whole-grain pasta and roasted zucchini

“Superhero” spinach wrap with cucumber salad

Chickpea falafel in a soft wheat wrap with chopped romaine, fresh diced tomatoes and cucumber salad

Source: City Department of Education