County announces free pet adoptions until end of July

<p>Aspen stands next to Michelle Dunlap, 40, director of Phoenix Animal Rescue, at West End Animal Hospital in Newberry on Wednesday. Aspen is up for adoption.</p><div> </div>

Aspen stands next to Michelle Dunlap, 40, director of Phoenix Animal Rescue, at West End Animal Hospital in Newberry on Wednesday. Aspen is up for adoption.

It’s raining cats and dogs in Gainesville this month as Alachua County Animal Services has partnered with two local organizations to hold the first “Feline Frenzy and Canine Crazy” adoption event.

The event, which will span the month of July, offers free adoption of 50 cats and 50 dogs that have been spayed or neutered. All of the animals are microchipped and up to date on vaccinations, flea and tick treatments, according to an Alachua County news release.

Residents interested in adopting a pet during the event can do so at the Alachua County Animal Services Headquarters, located at 3400 NE 53 Ave., every Tuesday through Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. until the end of the month, according to the release.

Hilary Hynes, public education program coordinator at Alachua County Animal Services, said that this time of year is the heaviest breeding month for kittens and puppies, and this adoption event will help to lower euthanasia rates in Gainesville.

Sandi Richmond, director of No More Homeless Pets, said that recently the area has seen a 93 percent drop in euthanasia.

Richmond said she credits this change to more animals getting spayed or neutered as well as a rise in residents adopting pets from shelters instead of buying from breeders.

She said there’s a wide selection of animals waiting to be adopted.

“We’ve already fallen in love with the animals,” Richmond said. “There is plenty of variety of animals – something for everyone.”

Lehana Rodriguez, a 20-year-old food science and human nutrition junior, said she thinks adopting pets can leave a positive impact.

Rodriguez recently adopted Bandit, a mixed-breed, black-and-white puppy, from Gainesville Pet Rescue. So far, she said, it’s been an amazing experience.

“Adopting is a great option – especially for first time pet owners,” she said.