A local man was arrested Monday night after police said he threatened his girlfriend because of deleted Facebook messages.

Kimberly Straka was sitting on a couch in the living room of an Alachua home when her boyfriend, Michael Benjamin Sanders, became enraged about the messages. He threw a small cup at her and yelled at her, according to an Alachua County Sheriff’s Office arrest report.

Straka got up to grab a landline phone, but Sanders jerked the cord out of the wall to keep her from calling help, according to the report.

Then, she tried to run for the door, but Sanders chased her and blocked her path. Sanders pushed her back inside, and Straka kept telling him she wanted to leave the house, according to the report.

Straka ran inside between the front and back doors pursued by Sanders. She finally curled up in the kitchen in a fetal position, clutching the phone, but Sanders grabbed the phone from her and took the batteries out.

Sanders was arrested and taken to the Alachua County Jail, where he was booked on charges of false imprisonment, battery and obstructing justice. As of press time, he remained there, and bond had not been set.