Event offers wine-tasting for a cause

The Fresh Market and Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation are teaming up for a wine-tasting soiree to be held Sept. 12. All of the proceeds will go toward research for Type 1 diabetes.

This event will be held at the Fresh Market, located on 4120 NW 16th Blvd., from 8 to 10 p.m.

The event will feature samples of wine, prime rib, shrimp cocktail, cheeses and other hors d’oeuvres. Attendees can also buy wine at a 15 percent discount during this event.

“It is a special honor to have the Fresh Market graciously host this unique event and to have its continued support of our organization,” said Brooks Biagini, executive director of Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation North Florida.

The event will be an opportunity for networking, said Eleni Polopolus Sheehan, a member of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation board of directors who was diagnosed with diabetes at age 9.

“Being diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at an early age can be difficult,” she said. “Going to these events can help facilitate support for people who are in need. It would have been wonderful if I could have had a mentor who could relate to my confusion.”

Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation is one of the largest charitable supporters of Type 1 diabetes research. It is currently sponsoring $530 million in scientific research in 17 countries, according to the organization’s website.

More than 80 percent of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation’s proceeds go directly toward research and research-related education, said Anastasia Albanese-O’Neill, a member of the organization’s board of directors.

“These statistics are important to me because my daughter has Type 1 diabetes,” she said. “It is a lot to carry with you everyday. That is why it is crucial to make advances.”

The costs of tickets are $25. Tickets may be purchased online at tinyurl.com/finewinegvl, by calling the JDRF office at 904-739- 2101 or at the door of the event.