A Gainesville man went from a hideout in an air conditioning unit to a jail cell when deputies discovered him Tuesday morning.

Cornelius Samuel Banks, 23, was arrested on a felony warrant and charges of resisting officers without violence, according to an Alachua County Sheriff’s Office arrest report.

The friend who was hiding him in her apartment — 20-year-old Katronna Vanece Smith — was arrested on charges of resisting an officer.

At about 8 a.m., deputies went to Smith’s house, located in a unit at 5800 SW 20th Ave., to look for Banks, according to the report.

Smith insisted she hadn’t seen Banks in two months and said he was hiding out in New Jersey with his family.

Deputies couldn’t find Banks at first, but during a second search of the apartment, they noticed a large toy car blocking a door to an air conditioning handler vent.

After undoing the two swivel latches locking the door, deputies found Banks inside the vent covered in a sheet and a towel, according to the report. They then arrested both Banks and Smith.

Deputies booked them both into the Alachua County Jail at about 9 a.m., where Banks remained as of press time with no bond. Smith was released later that morning on her own recognizance.

Banks was wanted for counts of aggravated assault and possession of a weapon by a convicted felon, among other charges, according to Alachua County Clerk of the Court records.

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 9/5/2013 under the headline "Felon found in air conditioner"