Gainesville Police arrested a man Wednesday night after he reportedly stabbed another man with a box cutter in the downtown area.

At about 8 p.m., officers responded to Bo Diddley Community Plaza to find Eugene M. Primus, 47, with a 1.5-inch-long cut on the left side of his neck near an artery, according to the report.

Primus told police that 58-year-old Thomas Fred Moss, whom Primus referred to as “Cowboy,” confronted him about a previous argument they had, according to the report. During the fight, Moss pulled out a box cutter and sliced Primus’ neck.

After identifying Moss as the cutter, Primus was taken to UF Health Shands Hospital, according to the report.

Officers found a bloodstained box cutter in Moss’ pocket.

They interviewed two witnesses, who confirmed that the fight occurred. One of them told police that Moss said, “I wasn’t messing with nobody, but I had to stab that motherf*****.”

Officers booked Moss into the Alachua County Jail on a charge of attempted murder. As of press time, he remained there with a $50,000 bond.

A version of this story ran on page 4 on 9/6/2013 under the headline "Gainesville man stabbed by ‘Cowboy’"