Sunday Amazon delivery launches in select cities

Just in time for the holidays, Amazon and the U.S. Postal Service are partnering to offer Sunday package delivery to customers in two cities beginning this week.

The deal will first begin in Los Angeles and New York. The two companies will decide where to expand in upcoming years, said Stephen Seewoester, spokesman for the U.S. Postal Service.

“It’s great because a lot of times people might not order something on a Friday because they won’t get it until the upcoming week,” he said.

The new Sunday delivery option will not cost extra to customers, he said.

Jay Pierre, a 19-year-old UF political science sophomore, said he thinks the idea is a good business move.

“The post offices were just about to stop delivering mail on Saturdays, and now they’re starting up business on Sundays?” he said. “The U.S. Postal Service is really winning with Amazon right now.”

Shanice Kate, an 18-year-old UF recreation, parks and tourism sophomore, said she thinks Sunday delivery would be too much.

“They should take advice from Chick-fil-A,” she said. “Sundays need to be left alone. The weekend is called weekend for a reason.”

A version of this story ran on page 5 on 11/13/2013 under the headline "Sunday Amazon delivery launches in select cities"