The holidays are coming early for Jewish UF alumni.

Yom Kippur, a Jewish holiday, starts on Oct. 3 this year.

But it was printed on Sept. 4 in the UF Alumni Association’s calendar.

The association sent an apology email to its members in response to the error last week.

“This mistake is in direct conflict with our goal to be excellent every day,” Danita Nias, the association’s executive director and senior associate vice president, said in the apology email. “We regret our error.”

She said the association was not aware of the error until after the calendar was published.

The association does not plan to print new calendars.

UFAA plans to send out “means to retrofit your calendar with the correct information” as soon as possible.

Nias said she does not recall any mistakes in previous calendars.

Chris Cupoli, senior director of membership and philanthropy, is in charge of remedying the error.

He said he is waiting on the calendar’s publisher to send him the various options for fixing it.

The response has been positive overall, Cupoli said.

“We’ve had more requests for ordering more calendars than we’ve had negative responses for the mistake,” Cupoli said. “The scenes in the calendar were inspirational.”

A version of this story ran on page 5 on 1/8/2014 under the headline "Alumni calendar typo atoned for"