UF Legal Services relocating amidst Reitz construction

UF’s Student Legal Services will be temporarily relocated near Carleton Auditorium due to construction in the Reitz Union.

The move from Reitz Union, Room 268, to Walker Hall, Room 215, is expected to take place Feb. 10. Legal services is expected to remain at the new location for about 18 months.

Layne Prebor, assistant general counsel for Student Legal Services, said the move has been a smooth one so far, except for possible confusion about the relocation.

“Students would come to the Reitz Union looking for us,” he said. “They wonder where we are at, and they have to trek all the way across campus for it. If we could save them a trip, I thought that would be great.”

Alisha Tabag, legal services assistant director, said the move should increase its exposure to students.

“People are closer, and people don’t have to walk across campus,” she said. “We’re right in the middle.”

Heather Cooper, a student legal services legal intern, said she doesn’t think the students will be affected by the move.

“It’s like moving from one popular campus area to another,” the 26-year-old second-year UF law student said.

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 1/30/2014 under the headline "UF Legal Services relocating amidst Reitz construction"]