Starting Monday at 7 a.m, devices that have not been installed with anti-virus software and updated with Java and Flash will be locked out of UF’s Wi-Fi.

Students can check their devices for the current requirements at getonline.ufl.edu.

Tracy Gale, UF Information Technology communications manager, said the device updates are necessary to protect student information and the university.

“You need to make sure what you have is safe,” she said. “We’re not trying to make this a hassle. We’re trying to protect your personal information as well as the university’s networks.”

Device updates are held each semester.

For Sarah Lassiter, a 20-year-old UF finance junior, the frequent updates are frustrating. Lassiter said she has a hard time remembering to update her devices.

However, she said the constant updates make her feel more secure about using the school’s Wi-Fi.

Christine Giannettino, a 22-year-old UF health education junior, said she will make an effort to update her devices.

“Nowadays, anyone can hack into your devices and steal your info,” she said.

A version of this story ran on page 4 on 1/9/2014 under the headline "UF IT cracking down on device updates"