This weekend, more UF students will have the chance to say goodbye to their fears of heights and reach for the sky.

Lake Wauburg’s South Shore will host Gator Open Climb, a free opportunity to climb on the new High Ropes and Elements Challenge Course as well as the Alpine Tower, said Hayden Manuel, department of recreational sports assistant.

Saturday will be the open climb for the new challenge course, and Sunday the Alpine Tower will be open climb. Both obstacles will be available between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. for UF students with a valid Gator 1 Card.

The events are normally only open to groups of 12 or more for team-building activities, but this weekend, students will have a chance to check it out without a group.

“Once they go out on the course, they’re going to want to take their student organizations out,” Manuel said.

Alexsandra Bello, a 19-year-old UF mathematics sophomore, said she tries to go to the South Shore every month to rock climb. She said she thinks students should check out Wauburg’s high-adrenaline offerings.

“I definitely think it’s an advantage of UF,” she said. “Where else am I going to be able to do all of this for free?”

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 2/20/2014 under the headline “Lake Wauburg to host Gator Open Climb"]