UF students, Operation PetSnip to raise money for homeless pets

A group of UF students has teamed up with Operation PetSnip of Gainesville to raise about $5,000 for homeless pets as a campaign for their sales management class.

Running Buddies for Kittens and Puppies offers students the chance to donate a minimum of $5 to be partnered with a motivational running buddy.

Justin Kelsey, a 21-year-old UF finance junior, said his sales management class group chose this particular campaign idea because of how popular running is among UF students.

The group chose to fundraise for Operation PetSnip because it supports the organization’s efforts to decrease the amount of pets euthanized in Gainesville each year.

“Every dollar donated goes towards helping an animal get this sterilization procedure who normally wouldn’t have anyone to pay for it,” Kelsey said.

Kelsey is even offering his own dog, Bella Rose, to join some of the campaign’s 20 runners.

Chelsea Verhoeven, a 20-year-old UF biology sophomore, said she loves to run and she thinks the project is a great way to get people excited about running.

“Running with people can motivate you and push you to keep going when you normally would just give up,” Verhoeven said. “It makes running a bit more enjoyable with a partner than getting tired by yourself.”

The campaign is planned to continue until Spring Break, but Kelsey said he also hopes to turn it into something more long term.

[A version of this story ran on page 9 on 2/18/2014 under the headline "Students rent out furry running buddies"]