Gainesville band Morning Fatty turns down record deal, looks to roll in Kickstarter funds

Morning Fatty has high hopes for the campaign to fund its sophomore album.

After turning down a record deal by United Artists Alliance Music, the local funk-rock-reggae band is looking to fans to support its album, “Resistance,” through crowdfunding website Kickstarter.

Under the proposed contract with the alliance, the band — made up of vocalist Andrew White, guitarist Miller Joyner, bassist John Pop and drummer Jared McEachran — would not have owned its music.

Pop, a 24-year-old UF alumnus, said the Kickstarter’s purpose is to create an album funded by fans.

“Our fans are our record company, so they kind of feel ownership,” he said.

The project will only be funded if the band meets its $10,000 goal by 12:16 p.m. today.

As of press time, fans had pledged $9,705.

Scott Sacks, a 31-year-old Gainesville resident, said he donated because Morning Fatty inspires him.

“They’re such hardworking, young, determined, passionate people,” Sacks said. “It’s like, ‘How do you not support someone like that?’”

Since releasing its first album, “Out of the Hat,” in 2012, Morning Fatty has added a keyboard and a different drum.

The new album includes post-apocalyptic themes focusing on subjects such as addiction.

“I think that even if the Kickstarter doesn’t work out, they still have the means to make a name for themselves on their own,” said Kellen Chesnutt, a 26-year-old Santa Fe College English junior.

Morning Fatty is performing at 8 p.m. tonight at The JAM. Tickets are $8 in advance and $10 at the door.

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 3/21/2014 under the headline "Local band Morning Fatty looks to roll in Kickstarter funds"]