Gainesville restaurant roundup: The Mix closes, Relish opens

A local restaurant abruptly closed its doors March 17, leaving confused employees and customers and a homeless radio show.

The Mix Bistro closed without notice only a short time after changing its name from KC Crave last month.

Although the restaurant’s management couldn’t be reached for comment, Ken Peng, a local food critic known for his Ken Eats Gainesville Facebook page, said the closing came as a shock to everyone.

He said the decision to end a business is never out of the blue.

“Location was part of the issue,” Peng said. “They kind of had a live music and bar vibe except it was out of the way, and people had to drive there.”

He said the portion-to-price ratio was a common dissatisfaction for some customers as well.

Gator Hotline, a popular call-in sports radio show that allows listeners to interact with UF coaches, also needs a new location after the restaurant’s closing. The Gator IMG Sports Network hosted the show there on select days during various sports seasons.

Stephen Hartzell, a broadcast producer at IMG College, said he’s unsure of the radio show’s future location.

“We’re going to need a venue in the Fall,” he said. “The Mix Bistro met all of our technical needs.”

One of Gainesville’s popular burger joints Relish is opening its third location.

The newest location, at 3822 W. Newberry Road, will be open by the middle of May in the former Coffee Culture building.

Coffee Culture owner Alisa Kenney said the shop closed because she has a medical condition that has left her unable to give 100 percent to both store locations.

“I wasn’t giving them what they needed,” Kenney said.

The 13th Street location was the original shop, which Kenney opened 11 years ago. The Newberry Road location was opened only three years ago.

Even with the downsizing, she was able to offer her staff positions at the remaining location.

Kenney said Relish seems like it will be a great fit for Plaza Royale, which contains a movie theater, retail stores and other dining options.

Rob Roche, owner of Relish, said he agrees.

Relish’s first location on University Avenue opened in January 2009, and the downtown location opened in April 2012.

[A version of this story ran on page 9 on 3/26/2014 under the headline "The Mix closes, Relish opens"]