UF student holds toiletry drive for domestic violence victims

A UF student is making the world a more beautiful place with her women’s toiletry drive.

Shanelle Benjamin, a 20-year-old UF public relations junior, is holding her first on-campus toiletry drive, called Beauty’s Escape, benefitting women of domestic violence and homeless women in the Gainesville community. The drive started Tuesday and runs until April 4, although it may be extended, she said.

“You never know when you’ll be on the other side,” she said. “Now that you have the opportunity to help someone, you should take advantage of that.”

Benjamin, the community affairs assistant director of UF’s Black Student Union, is collecting beauty items such as feminine products, moisturizers, body sprays and hair products at the BSU office on the third floor of the Reitz Union and the Reitz Union Information Desk.

She said she’s expecting to raise more than $150 and collect more than 100 items. Donations will be delivered to St. Francis House, Peaceful Paths and other charitable organizations.

Benjamin said she started doing toiletry drives after she ran into a woman in need of supplies at St. Francis House, a homeless shelter and soup kitchen.

“Although I only had three or four pads, I saw her face light up,” she said. “I made a difference that quick.”

Benjamin said collecting beauty products for women helps boost their confidence, especially victims of domestic violence.

“Being able to take care of yourself gives you a sense of control,” she said.

Julie Karr, a communications specialist at HealthStreet, said one of the great things about student organizations like BSU is that they increase HealthStreet’s capacity to collect items.

HealthStreet, a community engagement program that works to reduce disparities in health care and health research, has a toiletry pantry in its facility that is open to the public on Wednesdays and Fridays to collect items, she said.

[A version of this story ran on page 3 on 3/27/2014 under the headline "Student holds toiletry drive for domestic violence victims"]