A show at downtown High Dive Bar & Venue got washed out early Saturday morning after police reported a local man in the crowd used a fire extinguisher for no reason, damaging about $1,620 of liquor in the process.

Gainesville Police arrested 58-year-old William J. Brady on charges of criminal mischief and carrying a concealed weapon, according to an arrest report.

At about 1:20 a.m., a band was performing at the bar, located at 210 SW Second Ave., when Brady grabbed one of the venue’s fire extinguishers and shot foam into the air near the stage.

Patrick Lavery, who handles booking for the bar, was outside when the incident occurred.

“Everybody ran out immediately,” Lavery said. “The band stopped playing. It was very alarming.”

Lavery said an employee escorted the man to the parking lot and asked him to leave, but he refused.

An Alachua County Sheriff’s deputy already on the scene detained the man until GPD arrived, Lavery said. That’s when Lavery heard Brady say he thought he saw a fire.

All of the contaminated alcohol has been thrown out, Lavery said.

High Dive is continuing to assess damage, including possible harm done to the sound system.

Officers booked Brady into the Alachua County Jail at about 3 a.m., where he remained as of press time in lieu of a $12,500 bond.

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 4/21/2014 under the headline "Man ruins alcohol by using fire extinguisher in High Dive"]