Big Guava impresses with big crowds, likely to return next year

Bright stage lights suddenly dimmed as thousands of people yelled and screamed in anticipation. A cube lit up, which revealed a kitchen table and gray smoke. Suddenly two silhouettes appeared and burst to life as everyone sprung from their seats and cheered in utter glee. The energetic notes of “Bombs Over Baghdad” played over the speakers — Outkast had finally returned to Florida.  

Big Guava Festival in Tampa proved to be a monumental success for the city’s live music scene. Held at the Florida State Fairgrounds from May 2 to 4, thousands flocked to see their favorite bands, discover new artists, ride the numerous thrill rides and enjoy the wide selection of food trucks.

Acts such as Vampire Weekend, Tegan and Sara, and Haim dominated the MidFlorida Credit Union Amphitheatre, while rising bands like Terraplane Sun played on smaller stages dispersed throughout the fairgrounds.

“[Florida] makes me feel like I’m on a tropical vacation” said Ben Rothbard, frontman of Terraplane Sun.

It was the first time the band had ever played Florida, and the members were ecstatic to play at the festival.

“I don’t know how we had not managed to come through here. We’re only seeing Florida [now] for the very first time,” Rothbard said.

Rothbard also detailed the differences between a festival set and a headlining show at a concert hall. 

“You only have 50 or so minutes to impress the audience. You really have to bring your all,” he said. 

The band played right before Vampire Weekend on a separate stage and managed to draw an impressively large crowd.

Florida-favorite band Slightly Stoopid was perhaps the most excited out of all the bands on the bill. 

“I love it here,” said Daniel “DeLa” Delacruz, saxophonist of Slightly Stoopid. “I have family here, so it’s always great to be here. And the crowds are epic.” 

The best aspect of the festival was the way it gave rising bands a chance to shine. 

“We try to play the upbeat songs, the songs that get people hyped,” said Morning Parade guitarist Chad Thomas. 

Morning Parade lead singer Steve Sparrow also raved about their recent show in Gainesville. 

“We didn’t get to see much of the city, but High Dive was a great venue,” Sparrow said.

Rising bands such as Bear Hands and St. Lucia also drew dedicated crowds. Up-and-coming band Smallpools managed to lure a sizeable crowd on Friday despite the heavy wind and rain. 

Festival organizers maintained proper attention to guidelines and safety regulations during the initially torrential weather.

With the festival slated to return in 2015, it will be interesting to see how it grows next year. 

If this year is any indication, Big Guava aims to be (and may very well become) the biggest festival in Florida,  and perhaps even one of the biggest in the nation that could rival favorites like Bonnaroo. 

[A version of this story ran on page 13 on 5/15/2014 under the headline "Big Guava impresses with big crowds, likely to return next year"]