UF presidential search criteria picked, to be confirmed Friday

UF’s presidential search committee unanimously confirmed changes to the presidential search criteria at a meeting Monday, mostly strengthening the focus on UF’s preeminence campaign.

Fluency in a second language was swapped for “meaningful international or multicultural experience,” and a new criteria calling attention to UF’s diversity, particularly in liberal arts and technology, was added. 

Steven Scott, chair of the search committee, said his personal research into presidential criteria showed that the common denominator was academic achievement. 

“This is a person who should easily be recognized by faculty at our university and around the nation and world, who has done something extraordinary with his or her career,” he said.

Susan Cameron, a presidential search committee member, said that the chosen candidate is not expected to meet all of the suggested criteria. 

“Individuals will be assessed under the totality of the qualifications,” she said. 

Friday, the search committee will present these changes to UF’s Board of Trustees.

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 5/20/2014 under the headline "UF presidential search criteria picked"]