As UF freshman Sumyia Sultana rode a forest-green tractor down a dirt field Wednesday, a group gathered to watch her.

“It was a new experience, but it was easier than I thought,” Sultana, 18, said. “Once you’ve driven the first round, you feel like a pro.”

Sultana and other students took part in UF’s Community Farm open house Wednesday at the UF Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences’ Teaching Farms and Student Gardens.

Anna Prizzia, adviser for the Gator Gardening Club, said UF Community Farm promotes conversations about sustainable agriculture and food systems.

“We wanted to host the event because we wanted to bring more awareness about the farm and the resources that are here and get more people engaged and involved,” Prizzia said.

Local farmers offered complimentary roselle tea, fruit and planting seeds to those who stopped at their booths.

The produce from the participating farmers at the event is available for purchase through the Gator Community Supported Agriculture program in which people subscribe to local farms and obtain items that grow during the harvest period. 

Student organizations such as Collegiate 4-H and Get Fruved were on hand to provide information on leading healthy lifestyles and getting involved in the community.

Activities included an open beehive demonstration and learning to drive a tractor.

Prizzia said she hopes students were encouraged to learn more about food systems as well as UF Community Farm resources.

“I hope they just get an awareness of the fact that the farm is here and that there’s lots of different ways to get involved,” Prizzia said.