The JAM turns two today — a milestone the owners didn’t think they’d see.

With the expansion of UF’s Innovation Hub downtown, the music venue at 817 W. University Ave. is only guaranteed six months to a year of permanence at a time.

“This building and this whole block is scheduled for demolition sometime in the near future,” said co-owner Eduardo “Eddy” Arenas. “From the beginning, we’ve been here with the understanding that we could get a 60-day notice to vacate.”

Though The JAM may have an uncertain future, it has not stopped providing live music.

In its first year alone, 85 bands played the local venue, 215 in its second. The increase happened by offering live performances three to four times a week.

“We try to give all kinds of music an opportunity within reason,” he said. “We’re not into offensive music; we try to keep a mindful, conscious message.”

This has created a very respectful community, according to Arenas, a community that will be present tonight for The JAM’s two-year anniversary party.  

“We tried to call upon Gainesville’s best musicians,” said Arenas. “If you look at the lineup it’s a lot of bands that have a great following in Gainesville.”

With recent notice that The JAM will remain for at least another six months, Arenas and his co-owner, Blake Briand, created an IndieGoGo campaign with a goal of $5,000 where concert-goers and the community can donate to help keep The JAM afloat.

So far they’ve raised almost $1,000, with 19 days left. 

“We’re just working people who put money and passion into something they love as a hobby; there are no outside investors,” said Briand. “Our goal is the music, not the money.”

The event is free for all to attend. The first set starts at 6 p.m. with a line-up that includes Swamp Records-signed artist Bells and Robes and local favorite Flat Land.

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 9/11/2014 under the headline "The JAM jams on tonight, celebrates another year"]