<p class="p1">Kent Fuchs and his wife, Linda, Gator Chomp after the Cornell University provost was named UF’s 12th president at Emerson Alumni Hall on Wednesday.</p>

Kent Fuchs and his wife, Linda, Gator Chomp after the Cornell University provost was named UF’s 12th president at Emerson Alumni Hall on Wednesday.

It took less than three minutes for the Board of Trustees to unanimously determine UF’s 12th president, Kent Fuchs (pronounced “fox”), on Wednesday.

After five months of searching and a $95,000 search committee fee, the provost of Cornell University will succeed President Bernie Machen’s seat on Jan.1.  

“When I first met Dr. Fuchs, he clearly was outstanding,” said Presidential Search Committee Chairman Steven Scott.  “His integrity, his judgment – and the more I looked at other folks and considered other people, he clearly stood out. He’s a true academic leader.”

Fuchs, 59, has 20 years of leadership at land-grant universities like the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Purdue University and Cornell. He said his immediate goal for the Spring is to learn about UF from the students, faculty and alumni.

“I have less than roughly two months to make the transition,” he said. “I’m going to use the first 100 days in developing relationships — the first 100 days in listening and understanding aspirations individuals have.”

Fuchs said he plans to set up specific three-year goals on building and implementing UF’s preeminence in the summer and fall of 2015.

“I have endorsed those,” he said. “I am enthusiastic about those, and I think it’s really exciting.”

Within his 12 years as the Joseph Silbert Dean of Engineering and as provost at Cornell, Fuchs developed a plan for preeminence to make Cornell one of the world’s top 10 universities. Among his initiatives to enhance Cornell’s academic standing, he led the effort in building a graduate school of applied sciences in New York City.

“Perhaps Kent’s greatest legacy as provost will be the Cornell Tech campus on Roosevelt Island,” Cornell University President David Skorton said in a statement. “More than any other individual, Kent’s foresight and determination resulted in our successful bid to establish Cornell Tech.”

Scott said the Board of Trustees felt like it needed a new leader to make UF a top 10 public university. UF is currently ranked No. 14 by the U.S. News & World Report.

“And he’s that person,” Scott said. “Now we’re on our way.”

Scott said Fuchs sees his transition to UF as coming back home.

Originally from Miami, Fuchs graduated from Miami Killian Senior High School. He received a bachelor’s degree in engineering from Duke University, a master’s in divinity from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School and a master’s and doctorate in electrical engineering from the University of Illinois.

He is a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Institute of Electrical Engineers and the Association for Computing Machinery.

His wife, Linda, holds three master’s degrees and taught at The King’s Academy in West Palm Beach earlier in her career.

The couple will move into the new 5,000-square-foot president’s house on Village Drive at the start of his term.

UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes said the salary range of the new president was determined by an outside consultant and will range between $900,000 and $1.2 million.

“We have worked very, very hard — not near as hard as Dr. Scott — but certainly it’s good to have the process behind us and be able to look forward to what happens in January,” Sikes said.

Florida Congressman Ted Yoho gave a statement welcoming Fuchs and his wife to The Gator Nation.

“Dr. Fuchs proven leadership will help ensure that the proud heritage and reputation that has been earned at UF/IFAS — as one of the top leaders in the nation in higher academics and innovation — will not only remain intact but flourish,” Yoho said.

Fuchs said interacting with students is a high priority because it is important for a president not to be aloof.

“I would love to get both face time as well as electronic interaction with the students and get to become a member of that community.” Fuchs said. “With 50,000 students and just this wealth of graduates, it’s important the president be visible and accessible.”

Student Body President Cory Yeffet said he saw Fuchs as the best candidate.

“He’s compassionate and cares about the students and really wants to get to know the student body and understand how he can work with students to accomplish the goal of becoming a top 10 public institution,” Yeffet said.

Fuchs said he is enthusiastic and optimistic about the future of UF.

“It is an amazing place, and I’m so pleased we have this opportunity to be a part of this community,” Fuchs said. “It’s going to be a great privilege to be a part of The Gator Nation.”