ESPN host Stephen A. Smith to speak on campus next week

Stephen A. Smith, sports analyst, radio host and co-host of the ESPN show “First Take,” will bring his outspokenness to UF next week.

As part of the Accent Speaker’s Bureau event, Smith will speak at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts at 8 p.m. on Nov. 12.  

The event is free and open to the general public. Doors will open at 7 p.m.

Corey Flayman, chairman of Accent, said requests from students led the organization to invite him as a speaker.

“He’s one of the most well-known and prominent ESPN commentators,” Flayman said. “We think that he brings a great mix of both sports commentary and entertainment.”

Accent paid Smith $26,500 to speak, Flayman said.

Smith started at ESPN in 2003 as an analyst for “NBA Shootaround,” now called “NBA Countdown.”

From 2005 to 2007, he hosted “Quite Frankly with Stephen A. Smith,” a daily, hourlong talk show.

In addition to co-hosting on “First Take,” which airs weekdays at 10 a.m., Smith hosts an ESPN radio show and writes a column for ESPNNewYork.com.

Flayman said students who have an interest in sports and news media can learn from Smith’s professional experience.

UF telecommunication senior Bonnie Mott, 22, said she is looking forward to hearing more about Smith’s career.

“I think he’s one of the most prominent and influential sports analysts, so I’m looking forward to hearing about his journey to ESPN and what his career is like on a day-to-day basis,” Mott said. “I admire how he isn’t afraid to tell it like it is, and it’s clear that he’s never been afraid of chasing his dreams.”

Students can participate in a Q-and-A after the speech.

“He’s so outspoken on many issues,” Flayman said. “I think, with that in mind, that he will bring an interesting perspective to the university.”