A constituent-written resolution was read at the UF Student Senate meeting Tuesday in the University Auditorium following the State of the Campus Address.

African Student Union President Susan Ajayi read to the Senate a resolution she wrote to honor Dec. 5 as Nelson Mandela Day at UF for his peaceful pursuit of human rights.

“This is the first time in my four years in Senate that a student has authored a Student Government-approved legislation,” said Senate President Joseph Michaels.

The organization will host a memorial for Nelson Mandela on Friday at noon in Pugh Hall, followed by a tree-planting ceremony in front of Grinter Hall.

In addition to the Nelson Mandela Day resolution, two other resolutions were added to the agenda.

In honor of the grand opening of Heavener Hall on Friday, senate members read a resolution to support the building and thank Bill Heavener for his contribution.

There was also a resolution to support solidarity between UF and Florida State University following the shooting on FSU’s campus. The bill proposes standing behind FSU and the commitment to safety on campus.

“I know we have a very healthy competition with FSU, but when it comes down to it, we all have friends there,” said judiciary chairman Bronco Vuskovich.