Humphries declares for NFL Draft; Bullard to return to UF

<p>D.J. Humphries holds up the Birmingham Bowl trophy following Florida's 28-20 win against East Carolina on Saturday at Legion Field.</p>

D.J. Humphries holds up the Birmingham Bowl trophy following Florida's 28-20 win against East Carolina on Saturday at Legion Field.

D.J. Humphries will not be returning for his senior season.

The junior offensive lineman announced Sunday night via Twitter that he is heading to the NFL Draft.

"GATOR NATION This has been the best 3 years of my life. But now, I feel it’s time to move on! I’ll always be a gator for LIFE! #FairwellUF" Humphries tweeted at 10:56 p.m. Sunday.

Humphries was a key component of Florida’s offensive line over the past two seasons.

A five-star recruit and the No. 2 prospect out of Union (N.C.) Mallard Creek High, Humphries made an immediate impact for Florida’s offensive line. He saw action in all 13 games in 2012, including making starts against South Carolina, Missouri and Louisiana. He finished the season on the Southeastern Conference All-Freshman team.

Humphries became Florida’s permanent starting left tackle in the 2013 season.

But his season ended after suffering a sprained MCL during a practice in late October. He played in seven games, starting six at left tackle.

The 6-foot-5, 295-pound Humphries started 10 of Florida’s 12 games this season at left tackle, missing UF’s road trips to Alabama and Tennessee with a high-ankle sprain.

Humphries is the fourth Gator to forgo his final season at UF and head off to the NFL, joining Buck linebacker Dante Fowler Jr., running back Matt Jones and offensive lineman Tyler Moore.

With Humphries forgoing his senior season, Florida will be without four of its five starting offensive lineman from the 2014 season.

Trip Thurman, who started every game at left guard, is the only one returning.

In total, UF has just three returning linemen with ample playing time at the collegiate level (also Rod Johnson and David Sharpe).

Florida has three offensive linemen verbal commitments in its 2015 class — Michael Horton, Tyler Jordan and Brandon Sandifer. All three are three-star prospects, according to Rivals.com.

Players who plan to declare early have until Jan. 15 to file declaration papers.

Bullard to return for senior season: Junior defensive lineman Jon Bullard announced Monday that he will not declare early for the NFL Draft and instead will return to Florida for his senior season.

"I wasn’t projected to go where I want to go,’’ Bullard said in a release. "I want to leave a bigger mark on the Florida program than what I have."

Bullard finished his junior season with a career-high 52 tackles, including eight-and-a-half tackles for loss.

In Florida’s 28-20 win in the Birmingham Bowl against East Carolina, Bullard recorded six tackles and one of UF’s four sacks.