Business mogul shares life story, advice with UF students

<p>Cuban entrepreneur and author Miguel Fernandez speaks to an audience of about 150 in Emerson Hall on Tuesday. He spoke about his life, gave advice and signed copies of his book "Humbled by the Journey."</p>

Cuban entrepreneur and author Miguel Fernandez speaks to an audience of about 150 in Emerson Hall on Tuesday. He spoke about his life, gave advice and signed copies of his book "Humbled by the Journey."

Having made and lost millions over the last 25 years, self-taught business mogul Mike Fernandez can’t place value on the relationships he’s made.

Those, he said, are priceless.

Fernandez shared his own American dream with a full audience of UF and Santa Fe College students in Emerson Alumni Hall at 4:15 p.m. Tuesday. Fernandez shared stories from his recently published memoir “Humbled by the Journey,” which highlights how his meager beginnings turned into the $1.5 billion in sales he raised in just the past year.

Despite a lack of formal education, Fernandez — the chairman of private investment firm MBF Healthcare Partners — has sold more than three different startups to American corporations and has gifted more than $100 million to charity in more than 20 years.

“If there’s a glass ceiling, I intend to break it,” said Fernandez, who worked with people like Magic Johnson and Richard Branson.

He said he owed his success to networking.  

“My social circle did not include Magic Johnson,” he said. “I made it a point in life to learn about those who acted differently than I did and had more than I did.”

Fernandez also stressed the importance of humility and gratitude as well as not being afraid to fail.

“Make mistakes,” Fernandez said. “If you’re not making enough mistakes, you’re not pushing yourself hard enough. Mistakes are good: From success you only learn vanity.”

Latasia Polk, a UF international studies junior, is a first-generation Machen Florida Opportunity Scholar. She said Fernandez taught her to accept the chances she takes at UF everyday.

“He said to live life with no regrets,” Polk, 20, said. “Accepting the fact that I am first generation is important, and (Fernandez) reinforced that today.”