UF’s Hispanic Heritage Month will kick off its celebrations today.

Although the university’s HHM organization is cutting down its events, there will be more of a variety, said Susel Ramos, 20, the HHM executive director. Instead of mainly focusing on bringing speakers like it did last year, the group will host a mix of events from a carnival to a pageant to a talent show, said Ramos, a UF international studies and French senior.

This year’s HHM theme is "Paving Our Visions, Creando Un Futuro," said Camila Rodriguez, HHM external programming director. The theme relates to Hispanic history and also shows what people are going through now, the 20-year-old said.

"This month we want to provide events not only for ourselves but for those who come after us," the UF public relations junior said.

HHM’s opening ceremony will be today at Emerson Alumni Hall. Doors open at 6 p.m., and the event starts at 6:30 p.m., Ramos said. The ceremony will feature Hispanic poet and speaker Gabriela Garcia Medina. At the event, the HHM concert artist will be announced. The artist will perform Oct. 2 at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, Ramos said.

"It’s a great way to remember our roots and that we have a play in history," she said.