Plans for O’Connell Center renovations finalized

The Stephen C. O’Connell Center’s planned renovations will move ahead in October.

The project will cost an estimated $64.5 million, with construction firm Brasfield & Gorrie handling the overhaul, according to a University Athletic Association press release.

The O’Connell Center is anticipated to remain open and fully operational until Spring 2016, when construction will increase.

Renovations are expected to be completed by December 2016. UF commencement ceremonies for Spring 2016 will be held at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Commencement ceremonies for Summer 2016 will be held at the Phillips Center for Performing Arts.

The renovation design process began July  2014, and an original start date was scheduled for March 2015. The project was delayed for a year in February due to its aggressive schedule, rising costs and change in construction management, according to Alligator archives.

The planned renovations include new concession stands, club seating and a club lounge, according to Alligator archives. A video board will be replaced, chair-back seats will be installed, and all offices and locker rooms will be renovated, in addition to the concourse and exterior.

“The total expected cost also includes furnishings, fixtures, signage, garbage cans and all those other things,” said UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes.

UF does not anticipate traffic flow being affected by construction. The renovations will displace the UF men’s and women’s basketball teams for early non-conference games of the 2016-17 season, according to the UAA.

Follow Graham Hall on Twitter @Graham311