To get into Saturday’s game-day spirit, UF public relations sophomore Robyn Wilbar wrote “Go Gators” in blue on a miniature pumpkin Tuesday.

As rain drizzled on the Plaza of the Americas, the Freshman Leadership  Council corralled about 500 Gators under the Library West breezeway. For the first time, students painted words that described their personality — or in Wilbar’s case, school spirit — on 200 pumpkins, creating a “personality patch,” said Rebecca Shalloway, a 20-year-old UF graphic design junior and FLC vice chair of communications.

Keiran Sheridan, FLC director of freshman relations and a UF public relations sophomore, said she liked the personality patch because she wanted to give the event a sentimental twist.

“It’s really encouraging to see that the rain didn’t discourage anyone from coming out,” the 20-year-old said.

Freshmen sipped apple cider while FLC members danced to techno music, inviting students to stray from their studies for a moment.

Pumpkins and 65 boxes of Domino’s pizza were handed out to students for free, Sheridan said. The event cost about $700.

“If Pumpkins at the Plaza can spark one new friendship or can show one individual, especially a member of UF ‘19, that they are a valued member of the UF Student Body, then I believe that we put on a very successful event,” she said.

Wilbar, 19, said she was working on her American history work in Library West and decided to join the event.

“I like that they had it rain or shine,” she said.