<p>UF’s Brianna Morgan serves during Florida’s win over USF on Jan. 27, 2016, at the Ring Tennis Complex.</p>

UF’s Brianna Morgan serves during Florida’s win over USF on Jan. 27, 2016, at the Ring Tennis Complex.

Leading 6-0, senior Brianna Morgan was up 6-5 in the third set of Florida’s final match. And after numerous rallies, Morgan hit one home, clinching the sweep for UF.

Although the No. 3 Gators (3-0) defeated No. 4 Southern California (2-2) 7-0 on Sunday at the Ring Tennis Complex, the dual match was closer than the score indicated.

In doubles, the No. 5 tandem of sophomore Brooke Austin and junior Kourtney Keegan faced the No. 4 pairing of Giuliana Olmos and Gabby Smith.

After the score was tied at 4-4, Austin and Keegan took the next two games, winning 6-4.

"Obviously (USC) is a very good team, and I know coming in we wanted to use this just to see what our team can do," Austin said. "We knew we were a very good team and I think today sort of justified what we can do."

The No. 15 duo of sophomore Josie Kuhlman and junior Belinda Woolcock defeated USC’s Zoe Katz and Jessica Failla 6-4 in another close match that saw four ties, giving the Gators a 1-0 lead.

In singles, No. 110 Sophomore Anna Danilina quickly routed USC’s No. 48 Rianna Valdes 6-2, 6-0 in a match that never saw a lead change. Neither player could take a commanding lead in the first set between No. 56 Kuhlman and No. 49 Madison Westby. After four ties and two lead changes, Kuhlman took the first set 6-4.

Kuhlman then defeated Westby 6-1 in the second set to give the Gators a 3-0 lead.

In the closest match of the day, USC’s No. 42 Giuliana Olmos took No. 11 Brooke Austin to the brink. The first set, which saw five ties, was a close 7-6 decision in favor of Austin. Hitting her stride, Austin took the second set 6-4, clinching the win for the Gators for the first time this season.

No. 25 Keegan defeated No. 76 Failla 6-2, 6-4 to give the Gators a 5-0 lead in a dominating performance.

No. 3 Belinda Woolcock defeated Smith 6-4, 6-3, giving Florida a 6-0 lead and leaving it only one win away from a sweep.

Up 3-0 against No. 114 Katz, No. 51 Morgan would go on to lose the next six games, dropping the first set 6-3. She bounced back in the next set, forcing a third set with a 6-3 win. Jumping out to a 3-0 lead, Morgan would drop the next five games.

But Morgan would go on on to win her next four games, taking set three 7-5 and completing the sweep.

"We were really excited for this match, because I feel like it was the first real challenge for us, and I thought we all did a great job coming out strong in singles and doubles," Kuhlman said.

The Gators take the court again Feb. 13 at 12 p.m. against No. 15 Baylor and Feb. 14 at 1 p.m. against No. 20 Clemson at the Ring Tennis Complex.

Contact Jake Dreilinger at jdreilinger@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @DreilingerJake