UF’s second steam outage this week, temporary hot water loss

Some UF students lost hot water Monday.

A power failure of a boiler in the UF Physical Plant Division caused the malfunction, UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes wrote in an email. 

The steam outage affected hot water and heating in buildings from about 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.

This was the second emergency steam outage at UF in the past week. Last Tuesday, resident halls, science buildings and the law complex lost hot water for the day because of a valve in need of repair.

Sikes said Monday’s outage resulted from old equipment.

“Unfortunately, periodic outages like this are a symptom of UF’s aging infrastructure,” she said.

Residents in campus dorms couldn’t take hot showers during the outage.

David Vega, a UF aerospace engineering freshman, said he didn’t know about the outage until he turned on the shower in Reid Hall.

“When I turned on the water, it was cold,” the 18-year-old said. “I heard other dudes freaking out throughout the day when they turned on the water.”

Vega said he finished his shower even though it was cold. He said wasn’t worried that the hot water would come back later.

“It’s not really a big deal,” he said. “I just assumed the water was out and it would be up eventually.”

@merylkornfield 

mkornfield@alligator.org