“Stage Kiss,” a new romantic comedy by Sarah Ruhl, will make its debut Friday night at the Hippodrome State Theatre. The show is one in a series of collaborations between the UF School of Theatre + Dance and the Hippodrome.

“This is our fourth co-production with the School of Theatre + Dance,” said Sarah Darden, the marketing director at the Hippodrome. “We have a great relationship with them. Their team and our team collaborate to try to find the perfect play… so a lot of the students can be involved and some of our professional Hippodrome actors can be involved.”

“Stage Kiss” follows the lives of two ex-lovers, He (David Patrick Ford) and She (Stephanie Lynge), as they reunite while starring as romantic leads in a play within the play. The plot chronicles the pair’s attempt to rekindle their past love affair as well as the repercussions that ensue from their reunion.

“It is an examination of love, our mind, thinking of the past, regret and growing up,” said Brittney Caldwell, a second-year UF Masters of Fine Arts candidate and a “Stage Kiss” cast member.

The play opens Friday night, but “Stage Kiss” has been a year in the making. As Darden describes, the process of choosing a script, reviewing it, acquiring rights and choosing a director takes months of planning.

The logistics behind the show took up the bulk of the time that went into putting on the production, with actual rehearsals taking place just three weeks before opening night, Darden said.

With such a short amount of time for the cast to rehearse together, the chemistry among members must progress quickly, especially when a high level of intimacy is in demand; the show features more than 40 kisses, Darden said.

“Almost everybody kisses everybody in the show, so you really need to be comfortable with your cast mates,” said Caldwell, who plays the characters of Laurie and Millicent on stage. “I think it’s a really good combination of actors and really good attitudes that blend well together.”

Darden promises a night of fun for those who come out this weekend to see the show.

“You’re going to laugh. You’re going to have some really heartfelt, warm moments,” said Darden. “Theatre is all about trying something new, and having a great night that for two hours you get transported into another world.”

“Stage Kiss” will run from Sept. 2 to Sept. 25. Tickets can be purchased online at thehipp.org, at the Hippodrome’s box office or over the phone. Student tickets are $15 with valid student IDs. Regular prices vary by performance night.