Sunday, October 24, 2021

Courtesy to The Alligator

CAMPUS  |  STUDENT LIFE

In Memorial: Brélan Eytan Moritz

Brélan Eytan Moritz, age 29, passed away Saturday, April 18, 2015, in Gainesville, Florida. He was born in Panama City, Florida, in 1985 and attended Lynn Haven Elementary, Mowat Middle School, and Mosley High School where he graduated as the valedictorian and achieved the rank of Eagle Scout. He received his undergraduate degree in Microbiology and Cell Science from the University of Florida in 2008, his master’s degree in Biomedical Engineering from UCLA in 2009, and was a PhD candidate in Microbiology and Cell Science at the University of Florida. The process for the award of a posthumous Doctor of Philosophy degree has been initiated. 

More articles »

PHOTO

UF PROFESSOR_Peng_photo4.jpg

UF design, construction and planning professor Zhong-Ren Peng has appeared on multiple national and international newspapers and broadcast news companies to share his knowledge on the dangers of coastal living and implications of policy and insurance following the Surfside condo collapse in Miami. Peng, who is also director of UF’s International Center for Adaptation Planning and Design (iAdapt), specializes in research areas like built environment resilience, smart buildings/cities and sustainable technology.

Transcript
Courtesy to The Alligator
VIDEO

Performers Without a Stage: A Look at UF Performing Arts during the COVID-19 Pandemic

COVID-19 affected everyone in countless ways, and the University of Florida’s College of the Arts experienced its own wave of difficulties because of the pandemic. Like most of the classes offered at UF, the performing arts courses had to switch to an online environment at the end of Spring 2020. As the new school year rolled around, classes started returning to in-person settings, but the traditional atmosphere of learning and performance remained changed. Students and professors have had to cope with changes such as recording their performances instead of hosting them live, wearing masks and social distancing in classes. The required distance that must be maintained between the students and professors created a roadblock for their art. Physical touch and connection are crucial to what they do, as well as receiving live feedback from an audience. The members of the performing arts community have struggled to redefine their art in this new era that COVID introduced, and they hope that the performing arts that they know and love will soon return. The students and professors remain positive and are using this challenge as a way to expand their talents. (Video produced and edited by Elena Barrera)

More media »