<p>UF forward Savannah Jordan takes a shot on goal during Florida's 5-2 win against Iowa State on Aug. 19, 2016, at James G. Pressly Stadium.</p>

UF forward Savannah Jordan takes a shot on goal during Florida's 5-2 win against Iowa State on Aug. 19, 2016, at James G. Pressly Stadium.

Kaylan Marckese’s sloppy pass sailed to midfielder Briana Solis in triple coverage just outside the penalty box.

Solis passed the ball back, but Marckese was unprepared, giving AU’s Kristen Dodson time to intercept the ball and sneak it into the net.

In the 24th minute, Auburn led 1-0.

And the goals kept coming.

The No. 12 Gators were held scoreless for the second time this year in their 3-0 home loss to Auburn on Thursday night.

Despite outshooting the Tigers 16-13 and putting four shots on goal, UF’s offense was shut down by unranked Auburn.

“They were locked in,” senior forward Savannah Jordan said.

“It was a little frustrating, but my teammates stepped up and had a couple of chances, and I think we’ve just got to work on finishing those.”

Auburn (6-4, 2-1 Southeastern Conference) goalkeeper Sarah Le Beau continued what has been an impressive 2016 campaign, saving four shots to notch her fourth shutout this season and cement her program’s first ever win in Gainesville.

The Tigers took advantage of a series of miscommunications from Florida's defense.

After Auburn’s first goal off the miscommunication between Marckese and Solis, Florida allowed a second goal late in the second half off a header from Auburn’s Courtney Schell.

Moments later, Florida (6-3, 1-2 SEC) suffered another tactical breakdown.

After a pass was deflected near midfield, Marckese made an attempt to clear the ball away from a charging Dodson.

Dodson blocked Marckese’s kick and raced past the St. Petersburg native before tapping the ball into an open goal to put Auburn’s lead at three.

“That was probably one of the strangest games that I’ve been a part of since I’ve been here at UF,” coach Becky Burleigh said.

“Obviously two really interesting goals in a set piece. I think the big thing for us is how we respond to this.”

Next up, Florida is set to face the unranked Tennessee Volunteers (5-4, 1-1 SEC) on Sunday at 5 p.m. at James G. Pressly Stadium.

The Gators defeated UT last year 2-1 in Knoxville.

Contact Dylan Dixon at ddixon@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @dylanrdixon.