<p>Alex Anzalone (34) and CeCe Jefferson (96) motion to the crowd during Florida's 13-6 win over Vanderbilt on Oct. 1 in Nashville. "He doesn't hold anything back," linebacker Jarrad Davis said of Anzalone. "He lets everything go, and that's what we want from our teammates."</p>

Alex Anzalone (34) and CeCe Jefferson (96) motion to the crowd during Florida's 13-6 win over Vanderbilt on Oct. 1 in Nashville. "He doesn't hold anything back," linebacker Jarrad Davis said of Anzalone. "He lets everything go, and that's what we want from our teammates."

With nearly all of Florida’s starting defensive lineman injured, many younger players were forced to step up in Saturday’s 13-6 win over Vanderbilt.

And the inexperience showed.

VU running back Ralph Webb sliced through gaps repeatedly, rushing for 110 yards on 24 carries. Additionally, Florida recorded just two sacks — one by the defensive line — despite entering the game with a Southeastern Conference-leading 17 sacks.

“I think this was a great game for them,” McElwain said of his younger players. “I’m not saying they played particularly well, but they’re gonna have a great opportunity to see themselves on film and learn how to control blockers.”

Joey Ivie and Jordan Sherit didn’t play due to injuries, and Bryan Cox Jr. played limited action. In the third quarter, Caleb Brantley missed snaps after suffering a left wrist injury.

The injuries gave way to underclassmen like Jabari Zuniga, Jachai Polite, Khairi Clark, Keivonnis Davis and Antonneous Clayton.

While some of them struggled, CeCe Jefferson played well. The sophomore racked up four tackles, most among the defensive linemen.

“He played end and tackle today. He’s an athlete,” Brantley said. “It’s self explanatory. He’s an athlete and he balls. That’s what he does, he gets after it.”

Davis has career day:

Linebacker Jarrad Davis anchored Florida’s defense in more ways than one on Saturday.

The senior tallied a career-high 15 tackles and added three pass breakups. The last pass breakup proved to be the most important.

With VU quarterback Wade Freebeck marching downfield looking to tie the game up in the final minute, Davis tipped a pass while in coverage. The ball landed in the hands of safety Nick Washington for his first career interception.

Davis, who covered the same play earlier in the game, knew the play was coming.

“Last time I tried to knock it down,” he said. “I tried to go up and catch this one, but it bounced out of my hands, tipped up, and Nick caught it and saved the day.”

Townsend the unsung hero:

Johnny Townsend may have been Florida’s best offensive player Saturday.

The punter was routinely called upon to flip the field after three-and-outs and stalled drives, and he delivered. Five of Townsend’s seven punts went for 50 or more yards, four of which pinned the Commodores inside their 20-yard line.

“Where last week we just lost the field position battle, the hidden yardage I think was in our favor this week,” McElwain said. “Johnny did a good job.”

Appleby's favorite target:

Tight end DeAndre Goolsby and quarterback Austin Appleby found a rhythm together early and didn’t stop.

Goolsby, who finished with 37 yards, recorded eight catches — the most by a UF tight end in a game since the 2009 SEC Championship game. The mark was also one shy of tying the single-game school record held by three other Gators.

Contact Patrick Pinak at ppinak@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @pinakk12.