Generic Crime
Generic Crime

For nearly half a year, a Kmart pharmacist stole about 1,400 prescription pills from the store’s pharmacy, the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office said.

gailey mug

Jennifer Taylor Gailey

Jennifer Taylor Gailey, 31, stole about 700 Soma pills and 700 Tylenol with Codeine #3 pills from the store, located on the 900 block of NW 76th Blvd., according to the report. She told police she needed them to sleep.

The estimated cost of the stolen pills is $300, according to the report. Soma pills are listed as schedule 4 narcotics, which are described as drugs with a lower risk of dependence than others. Tylenol with Codeine #3 is schedule 3.

Kmart’s loss-prevention office discovered the pills were missing from the pharmacy. Officials from Kmart suspected Gailey was responsible and called police, according to the report.

Gailey told officers she began stealing pills because of stress, according to the report. Gailey asked for a lawyer before police were able to obtain a sworn written statement.

Police arrested Gailey on a charge of grand theft of a controlled substance. Authorities took her to the Alachua County Jail where she was released Thursday afternoon on her own recognizance.

Gailey declined to comment. A Kmart representative confirmed Gailey no longer works for the store.